Guns and Firearms
We get a lot of questions about the handgun safety certificate and exemptions. People want to know what documents are needed, who can buy a firearm, the safe handling demonstration, proof of residence requirements and many other handgun related issues. Hopefully, this page will help out.
- You must be a California resident with a valid California ID or driver's license.
- If you're active military stationed in California, you'll need to present your military ID and your PCS orders.
- To buy a handgun you must be at least 21 years of age.
- To buy a rifle or shotgun you must be at least 18 years of age.
- Any felony and certain misdemeanors will prevent purchase of any firearm.
For all additional requirements please call us at 619-284-2274.
How to purchase a handgun in California
California Department of Justice, Office of Attorney General
California Department of Justice, Firearms Information
California Assault weapons Guide
California Certified Handguns
National Rifle Association (NRA)
Gun Owners of America
Gun Owners of California
Click on each image for more information!